Awesome Text Editor - Atom
Since I started using Sublime Text 2, I have fallen in love with the simplicity design. Compared to other more "robust" integrated development environment (IDE), it was faster to run, more customisable, had a large community and some of the functionalities are simply awesome. Since Sublime Text requires a payment of $70, it is a little pricey for me. After I had enough with pop ups telling me to pay the licence fee, I decided to look for an alternative.
I have tried many IDEs and text editors, they all had problems:
- Not available on all OS platforms
- Expensive licence/subscription fee
- Too bulky, and not as light as Sublime Text
- Too limiting, does not have all the key functionalities
- Lack the subtle touches of Sublime Text e.g. multi-select
- Does not have the massive community behind it to create plugins and improve the product in the long run
There were probably more issues, but those are the main problems which prevented me from using them. Then I found out about Atom, an open source project backed by Github. At the time I first used it, it was slow, buggy and lacking many of the plugins from Sublime Text (hell it wasn't available for Windows). After a year, everything changed! Now I can recommend it to anyone, for me it doesn't have any problem, and I can be confident to say it is now a better Text Editor compared to Sublime Text. So if you haven't tried it already, I think you should spend a few days and play around with it!